Ever stuck wondering why you aren’t getting many page views on your latest blog post? Well, there’s every chance that you may not be taking the right steps to getting your blog noticed.
Now of course I know that I am no professional at blogging but as always, I love sharing my tips with you guys from my experiences so far. Blogging is my passion and there is nothing more I want than to help others – whether it be with beauty reviews, swatches or blogging tips!
You could say that being organised is one of my hobbies. LOL. So having a checklist in front of me for before & after I publish is great! Ask anyone, I’m one of the most organised, neat freaks around when it comes to my blogging & social accounts. Ask my boyfriend about my organisation and he’d probably look back at you twice. “Elley? Organised? Neat freak? What?!”
So, if you’ve come here looking for some advice on how to get organised & boost your views, then keep on reading.. Be sure to visit my Etsy store if you’re interested in downloading the checklist below!
BEFORE YOU PUBLISH
- Write Rough Draft – Begin putting together your post. Be sure to jot down (in a journal or on your phone) any ideas that come to mind! I usually start my draft with dot points & develop my post from there.
- Shoot (& Edit) Photos – Let your creativity run wild & take some amazing shots for your post. Be sure to watermark your images!
- Create & add your Title – Your title is the face of your blog post. No matter how great the content of your post is, if your title isn’t enticing, your viewers won’t read it. I like to use this amazing headline analyser to make sure my title is captivating.
- Add your SEO Title & Meta Description – Hands down, the best plugin you can use to improve your blog posts is Yoast Seo. I always make sure to edit the meta description in each individual blog post, including my focus keyword. There’s a reason why this plugin is the #1 SEO plugin for WordPress.
- Select your Category & add Tags – Tagging & categorising your blog posts makes life easier for your readers. You’ll see over in my side bar that I have a list of my categories if you wanted to quickly jump to one of them!
- Create a “Pinnable” Graphic/Image – This is a step that I recently started to do myself but seriously could not live without now that I’ve tried it. Creating a pretty Pinterest graphic makes readers more enticed to pin your blog post, therefore generating you more traffic. Win!
- Upload Photos & add Alt-Text – Now that your post is coming together, it’s time to strategically add your images. Something that you should always be making sure you do with your images is adding Alt-Text. That plugin I mentioned before, (Yoast SEO) reminds you to do this in case you forget!
- Set Featured Image – You’ll need to select one of your photos to be your featured image for your post. This is the “cover” photo that readers will see when they visit your home page and when you share your post!
- Proof Read & Save as Draft – Finish off any last minute changes to your blog post and save it as a draft. There’s nothing worse than putting tonnes of work into a post and forgetting to save.
- Preview Post to Check for Errors – Before you commit to publishing your post, it’s time to check it’s all there. Make sure your grammar is correct, spelling looks great and the photos are all strategically placed.
- Schedule your Post – The final step! Set your post to go live on the date & time that you like and hit “Schedule”. Voila!
AFTER YOU PUBLISH
- Save Pinnable Image to Pinterest – Now that your post is up, it’s time to Pin that gorgeous graphic to Pinterest!
- Create Snapchat/Instagram Story – If you’re really into getting your post noticed, share a sneak peek on your Snapchat or Instagram story! This is something I personally love to do and I’ve definitely noticed an increase in views from doing this.
- Promote on Instagram – Other than adding a sneak peek on your story, upload an image (preferably from your blog post) asking your followers to go check it out. Make sure you’ve got a link to your blog in your Instagram bio to make it easily accessible!
- Promote on Facebook – Underneath each of my blog posts on ElleyMae.com you’ll see I have options to share my posts via email, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr & WordPress. I simply just click my Facebook share button & it posts straight over to my Facebook Page!
- Upload a Tweet with Link – If you’ve active on Twitter, you’ll know how great this can be for driving followers over to your blog. Upload a simple tweet with a link back to your new post!
Is there something that you always do before or after publishing your blog posts? Be sure to let me know so I can be in on the secret!
Can’t wait to hear what you all think of this post as always. Until next time xx